Distances Between NFL Cities
This is the data I used in my paper on
Realignment in the NFL.
The following are available:
There are additional jpeg images available
- A map of the optimal solution to the problem
of minimizing the sum of intradivisional distances with no side
constraints. Two versions available:
a small, sylized version,
or a jpeg geographically accurate picture.
- A numbered list of the cities.
- The 32x32 distance matrix of the cities.
- An MPS file of the integer programming
formulation, including some cutting planes.
This formulation returns the optimal solution to the
The optimal solution uses these
48 edges and has value 27957km.
- The latitude/longitude coordinates of the cities,
expressed as degrees-minutes-seconds for latitude and then for longitude.
- To convert from latitude/longitude to distances, I used a formula
available from the
- Here is my fortran implementation
of the formula to translate latitude/longitude coordinates into a
that I used to extract the locations of the 32 NFL cities is available
as a compressed file from the University of Texas.
- Optimal solutions under various
- A news
release from the NFL detailing the
Back to my homepage